Hillside Hose Company No. 1 celebrated 100 years of volunteer fire service by hosting a day of fun for the whole family. Admission to the event was free. A variety of food vendors, beer truck, antique fire apparatus, games, rides, and fireworks had us celebrating with a bang!
Hillside Hose Co. is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. All contributions are tax deductible to the full extent of the law. For a copy of our determination letter from the IRS, please click here: Determination Letter.
History of Hillside Hose Company No. 1
On June 8, 1914, Seventeen men met at the Hillside School on Center Avenue to discuss some type of fire protection for this particular area of Morris Township. Ten days later incorporation papers were filed and thirty-seven men were elected charter members of Hillside Hose Company No. 1.
The Clarks Barn at the corner of Locust Street and Center Avenue became the first firehouse where a hand drawn hose reel served as their fire apparatus. In 1917 a lot at Western Avenue and Locust Street was purchased for a true firehouse. Two years later, with most of the labor provided by the fire company, the Hillside firehouse was completed. On November 20, 1919, the firehouse was donated to Morris Township as part of the agreement to become part of the Morris Township Fire Department. A year later, Hillside received its first fire truck from Morris Township.
From then until now Hillside Hose Company has been on call every day to serve the community in times of need – fighting fires and saving lives. Our volunteer membership compliments the full-time fire fighter that mans the firehouse weekdays and handles all emergency calls every night and weekend.
Over the decades the Hillside Hose Company has supported the community through Academic Scholarships, Athletic Sponsorships, Children’s Programs, and Donations to worthy causes. The fundraising done throughout the year allows Hillside Hose Company No. 1 to be a proud member of our community.